We are a Software-as-a-Service start-up that powers the iOS and Android shopping apps of international retailers like House of Fraser, MADE.com and Missguided. We’re relentless at seeking out the most advanced technology and our software is constantly improving. This means that our clients are always at the forefront of innovation.
We have collaborated with many clients and integrated with lots of partners to launch apps with cutting-edge features including: augmented reality, product merchandising, tailored push notifications and app marketing. The Poq platform drives millions of revenue for our customers every month, and facilitates thousands of transactions every day.
Poq was founded in 2011 and we have built an amazing team of diverse and brilliant minds.
We pride ourselves in our culture. We are a diverse bunch of passionate individuals who genuinely care about each other and what we do here. We face challenges together and celebrate together. Every voice counts and we go the extra mile to make sure that everyone is heard. An open, collaborative environment where ideas stand on their own merit is what we strive to achieve.
About the role
Reporting into the Head of Product, you will help to set and execute a strategy that maximises the value of the large volumes of data that we currently process. You will set the overall direction for data science by identifying and validating opportunities before building the data products that make those insights available to the business and to our customers.
You will be highly analytical with a knack for analysis, maths and statistics. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for interpreting data and you will have a passion for machine-learning and research. As Poq’s first Data Scientist, your goal will be to help analyse trends to make better business decisions along with predictive models that could enhance the ecommerce experience.
What you'll be doing
- Analysing all relevant data sources, indicate areas of greatest value and present a plan to quickly and incrementally deliver that value.
- Automating collection and pre-processing of structured and unstructured data
- Analysing large and disparate data sets to discover and visualise trends and patterns
- Using data visualisation tools and techniques to ensure insights are available at all levels of the business
- Building predictive models and machine-learning algorithms that can drive valuable insight and product features
- Combining models through ensemble modelling
- Empowering commercial teams to become self-sufficient with querying data and building reports
- Researching different and emerging technologies, proposing solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Collaborating with engineering and product development teams to ensure data requirements are represented through the entire product lifecycle.
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years experience as a Data Scientist
- Experience in data mining and aggregation
- Applying machine-learning techniques to product development
- Knowledge of R, SQL and Python; familiarity with Scala, Java or C++ is an asset
- Experience using business intelligence tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau) and data frameworks (e.g. Hadoop)
- Knowledge of cloud-based enterprise data warehouse solutions (e.g. BigQuery)
- Strong math skills (e.g. statistics, algebra)
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Previous retail or ecommerce industry exposure
- Native mobile experience is a bonus, but not a must
- Previous experience in defining and setting up a Data Science function is also beneficial but not a must
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field; graduate degree in Data Science or other quantitative field is preferred
- Competitive salary.
- Training Budget of £750 per person, per year.
- Genderless Parental Leave Policy based on primary care-giving for biological and adopted children.
- Comprehensive Private Medical Cover including optical, dental and mental health.
- Bike to work scheme.
- Flexible working hours.
- Selection of breakfast options provided.
- Fruit, snacks, tea and coffee provided throughout the week.
- We know that sometimes projects and deadlines mean we have to work late, so when that happens, you can order dinner on us and have it delivered to the office.
- Cake Wednesdays!
- Birthday Break - 2 hours back to have a lie in, take a long lunch or leave early on your birthday.
- Team drinks (soft and non) every Friday.
- Quarterly team events (we’ve done a Segway tour, BBQs, Junkyard Golf, a Graffiti Workshop and more!)
We love spending time together as a team, check us out on Instagram. You can see more about our team here.
How to apply
Please complete the application form below and click the 'submit your application' button to apply. To save time, you can import details from your LinkedIn profile.
GDPR Compliance at Poq
Poq will use the personal data provided by you in your application to contact you regarding matters relevant to the recruitment of this role. We will keep your details in our database; Workable, for a maximum of 12 months after the role closes, for the purpose of contacting you regarding other relevant roles at Poq that may become available. After this time your personal data will be deleted from our database. Members of the People team and relevant hiring managers and interviewers will have access to your CV during the recruitment process.